Come Ce-le-brate good times...come on!



In honor of our independence from those English jerks back in 1776,
I bring you some really crappy dime store Heroes of the Revolution figures from 1976.


These figures were made by RT toys and released through Five and Dime
type stores to celebrate the bicentennial of our wondrous country.


Here is a great ad for them from the amazing collection of toy catalogs at plaidstallions.com

I was only 1 at the time, but from what I have been told,
there was all kinds of bicentennial hoopla going on and stores
were filled with all the Americana gee-gaw you could get your hands on.


I am a self-professed nerd and was obsessed with the
found fathers growing up. I even conned a cool Presidents ruler from my
6th grade History teacher he had kept in his personal collection for ages.
It only went up to Harry Turman!

Though I was too little at the time to get these originally,
my nerdish leanings have forced me to obtain them for my little girly dolly collection.


I was also lucky to obtain a SWEET Uncle Sam figure from Fun World Toys
that came out in the same year, so I am gonna throw him in with these guys.

(Please note. The figures are not complete. They are
missing a coupleof sweet 18th century hats.)


First and foremost. The father of our country.
The 1st President of the United States, Mr. George Washington.


This figure of Mr. Washington is a bit plump.
Maybe once he and the fellas crossed the Potomac
they hit the local all-you-can-eat buffet before
they continued on to kick the British out of our New World.



Next is your old pal, Ben Franklin.


Besides his wonderful visage gracing the $100 dollar bill,
he also invented bifocal glasses and the urinary catheter!



Thomas Jefferson has become somewhat of a
pariah of the founding fathers as of late.
But, despite the bad press he has gotten
because of his interracial affairs etc...etc...,
still...he was a pretty amazing guy.


He only...you know...wrote the Declaration of Independence,
sent Lewis and Clark west, and masterminded
the Louisiana Purchase.
Just sayin'.



Here is Mr. Paul Revere, known for his patriotic
Midnight Ride warning on the impending British threat.


He looks a bit odd in the sculpting on this figure.
Maybe he is just making funny faces for the camera.



John Paul Jones is remembered as one of the
1st naval military heroes of our country.


He once proudly exclaimed, "I have not yet begun to fight."



Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death,"
still resonates with any freedom loving American like myself.


He was a fervent advocate of American Independence.



Nathan Hale was Americas 1st spy and a famous revolutionary soldier.


"I regret that I have but one life to life to lose for my country."

That is so badass.



Daniel Boone was well known as an adventurer and explorer.


He is remembered as one the 1st great folk heroes in our history.



Gilbert du Motier, the Marquis de Lafayette was a famous general in the Revolutionary war.


He later went on to fight in the French Revolution as well.



Last but not least is the one of the great symbols of our country, Uncle Sam


HE WANTS YOU...to be the all that you can be and run out
and collect these cheap specimens of American pride.


The dolls themselves are cheaply made in a Megoesque style
and have a very difficult time standing up in their puffy boots.
They are bit bloated and a little stiff.


But, what the heck, their cheap and really feed
the nerdy little patriotic revolutionary need
I have to belong to such a fantastic and perhaps
unattainable dream of a life of freedom.


For more info and pics...check out megolike.com.

Comments

Popular Posts