10 More Playsets from the Colonel's Archive

Any one that knows me, knows that I love playsets. I have an embarrassing amount of them. It is almost shameful...and I don't even have close to all that I want! But, I figured I would showcase 10 more sweet playsets that have a hallowed place in my toy room. 


10. Marx Toys The Ready Gang Action Town


This is a very cool short lived line from the late 70's. There are only 3 figures, 3 horses, and this massive playset. 

These are meant to play with other western toys of the time like Legends of the West and The Lone Ranger.





for more info check out Plaidstallions.


9. Galoob Blackstar Ice Castle


Just before He-man took over the world...
there was Blackstar. 



A fantastic toy line from 
a short lived animated series.




The best piece is this playset...The Ice Castle. 

The home of the evil Overlord. 

It is very brittle and I have had all 
3 of mine break on me. 

It makes an impressive display,
but treat it like an egg and be gentle.


8. Kenner's Strawberry Shortcake Berry Happy Home




Agh!! The Purple Pieman!



Don't pretend like all of us that lived through the early 80's didn't love Strawberry Shortcake!


The Berry Happy Home is my favorite piece in a complicated and expensive toy line to collect.

It is huge and unruly. 

Good luck finding a box to put it in. 


7. Galoob's Golden Girl Palace of Gems



Forget She-ra. 

Golden Girl is where it is at!




This knockoff line by Galoob 
is far superior to the Mattel line.

The figure designs are incredible and edgy.



(Photo by Countzackula..before I bought it from him!)

The Palace of Gems is the perfect 
companion to this great line.



The are two variants. One stark white...
and this one that is slightly pink.



6. LJN's  Emergency Firehouse


Yes...they made toys for that old show. 

In the mid 1970's vinyl playsets were all the rage 
and LJN got into the Mego Like fray with three cool toy lines. 


These toys can get a tad expensive. 

The Firehouse is a bit rare complete. 

But it folds up into a carry case for easy portability.  



5. LJN's  SWAT Police Station




And this is the other cool LJN line. 

This was my favorite playset as a kid. 


I took it everywhere. 

It got lost to time and this is it's replacement.  


Another vinyl winner by LJN.



4. Mego's Eagle Force Eagle Island


One of the last gasp of the Mego corporation. 



Little metal figures with vehicles and a fortress. 



Sadly short lived...but we did get this beauty.

A great concept that got swallowed 
by GI Joe: A Real American Hero. 


I got it on sale at Kmart as a kid and never let go.  



3. Marx's Undersea Adventure Playset


This is a knockoff of Mobile Action Command with a Jaws style theme.

So amazing!!


If you have the means...get one. So much fun!

Check out the commercial 
thanks to the Mego Museum.




2. Empire's Legends of the West Frontier Town


The only playset from my favorite toy line. I had only ever seen this is in old catalogs for years until I finally found one. A few have surfaced in recent years...I hope thanks to my Legends info

 

1. Galoob's A-team Command Center


I sought this forever and mine is still incomplete.  


 They pop up every year with large price tags. 



But this massive set is a must have for any A-team fan or 80's collector. 

Just look at the splendor of the Mr. T and friends hideout!


Well...I hope you enjoyed another peek into the playset hoard. Check me out on Instagram and Facebook for more toy insanity. 

Comments

  1. You mentioned that you have heard of a 4th Fireman figure in the Empire Legends of the West line, but haven't seen it. The three firemen figures shown resemble: Wyatt Earp, Jessie James and Wild Bill Hickok. From what you heard ,can you describe what other figure the 4th one may resemble please?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts